PLANT VS. ARMWOOD
Armwood and Plant again tonight. Championship programs line up in what we believe is the most balanced on field football rivalry in the area. Both programs have produced high caliber players and prospects. Both programs are extremely well coached and both Armwood and Plant believe this game prepares each team for the postseason.
Below are a few facts we want to highlight and myths we want to trash. Take a look.
1. Armwood officially leads the all time series 16-10. However, reseting the forfeit, the Hawks lead the series 17-9 (on the field).
2. Armwood leads 8-5 (9-4 on the field) when playing at home and 8-5 when playing in South Tampa at Plant High School.
3. The two teams split the first four meeting down the middle, alternating wins each year.
9/15/1989 26-3 Plant @Armwood
9/14/1990 10-0 Armwood @Plant
9/27/1991 28-8 Plant @Plant
9/25/1992 35-6 Armwood @Armwood
4. Contrary to popular belief, when Armwood was popped for the recruiting violations and forced to forfeit wins in 2010 and 2011, the Panthers on received one of those wins: 10/28/2011 21-0 Armwood at Armwood (forfeit win awarded to Plant).
5. Back when Armwood and Plant were in the same classification, the two teams eventually played each other late in the playoffs. They split their playoff series in half with both teams winning two of the four playoff games from 2005-2008.
6. MONDAY NIGHT IS NOT FOREIGN. Today marks the fourth contest between Armwood and Plant when playing on Monday Night. The game between the Hawks and the Panthers from 1997-2001 was played on Monday Night with Armwood winning back-to-back years in ’97 and ’98 and Plant pushing back in 2001.
7. Is there a Home Field Advantage? Not really. Both teams have won several times on the opponent’s home field. However in recent years, the winner of the game has been the home team. The last three games played in 2016, 2015 and 2012, Plant won two of the three games. Both wins coming inside their own stadium. Armwood won in 2011 at Armwood, But as noted above, was forced to forfeit the win.
8. Tonight Plant will travel to Armwood in seek of their 10th win in the series. The last win for Plant when playing at Armwood was back on 10/02/2009. Plant took home the “Dub” 17-7. But remember when Five Star College prospect James Wilder Jr. did this…One of the best plays in this rivalry.