PINELLAS COUNTY PRESEASON TOP 5 TEAMS
1. East Lake – Yes, the Eagles are without playmakers Devin Abraham, Artavis Scott and Weston Fordham. A 13-1 team one season ago, will start the season with many holes to fill, but QB Jake Hudson returns with ATH George Campbell and a big offensive line anchored by Julian Santos. The defensive front 7 is centered by Carson Lydon while Jonathan Holley and Justin Strnad will hold down the back four. Side Note: Head Coach, Bob Hudson has a chance to reach his 90th win by the end of the 2014 season.
2. Lakewood – If QB Ryan Davis starts the season as he ended last season, another double digit win season for Lakewood is a sure thing. Davis will drive the ship for his senior season but will have new faces for Targets. Sekendric Biddines will be the primary receiver and RB Romello Pressley will do his work on the ground. LB Anthony Foster comes over from St. Petersburg to add to the harassing style of DE/OLB Jordan Edwards. Expect Lakewood to be good again.
3. Clearwater Central Catholic – Finished the season in Orlando last season as the State Class 3A runner up. A storybook run minus the fairytale ending. 2013 was used for motivation and QB Jeff Smith will do his best to drive the Marauders back to Orlando this season. CCC returns 4 of 5 on the offensive line including Richard Kallay and Billy Atterbury. CJ Cotman will likely be the featured RB and WR John Brunner will secure first downs. The defense loses the entire line backing crew. However, S Demetri Royer, ATH JT Steele and Brandon Junk will make the needed plays on defense.
4. Largo – 8-3 in 2013 and going for a 10th straight district championship this season. QB Donavan Hale returns behind center for the second straight year and coaches say he is more focused and motivated than ever. Marcus Paschal takes over as the head coach of the Packers with a hand picked staff that has opened up the offense and kept the intensity of the defense. ATH Brandon Drayton and Jonathan Crawford will grab most of the headlines this season. However, CB Taj Taylor, WR Reggie Campbell and Javis Ross will carry plenty of the load.
5. Pinellas Park – The Patriots lost two games last year. Two games to one team (East Lake). 10 wins last season was good. A state championship this season would be better. The Patriots will be strong on defense, led by a wall of linebackers. In the center, team leader LB Kal-El Williams. CB Rashaan Watson will be the pass defender called on to lock up the opposition’s best receiver. On the offensive side of the ball, head coach Ken Crawford will get the ball in the hands of RB Donte Maxson by any means necessary.