1. Wiregrass Ranch (1-0) at Wesley Chapel (1-0) – No one really knows why this game has so much build up and hype. The two teams have not been really successful. Matter of fact they have had more head coaches than playoff appearances combined. Buuuuuuuut, both teams put together a 7 win season a year ago, didn’t play last year and the area is very territorial. It just feels like some good stuff is going to happen tonight and the hype is thick!
2. Clearwater (1-0) at Braden River (1-0) – Running back match up Jarius Williams, Clearwater vs Deshaun Fenwick, Braden River. Want to see some good ones go at it head to head versus a good defense? Here you have it. 8 ounce gloves (haha).
3. Lake Gibson (0-1) at Kathleen (0-1) – Red Devil ATH Brendan Gant left the game last week with an apparent leg injury but is expected to be ready to go versus Lake Gibson. Braves coming off a disappointing loss to Kissimmee Osceola and the Red Devils are a team not to be taken lightly. The defensive lines might be the highlight of the evening. Both built with ballers. Jaaron Jackson, Kathleen and Jaharie Martin, Lake Gibson lead the push up front.
4. Manatee (0-0) at Palmetto (0-0) – Does the Manatee streak end tonight? Palmetto sure thinks so. Manatee lost to Armwood in the kick off classic and the game versus Lakeland last Friday was cancelled due to field conditions and weather. Palmetto is motivated and questions surround the Hurricanes offense. Could be fireworks tonight.
5. East Bay (1-0) at Newsome (1-0) – Sneaky good game with more athletes than one would think. Newsome’s Patrick Jolly is one of the best in the area and East Bay keeps a handful of dudes including Davonte Williams who does it all for the Indians.
6. IMG Academy (White) (0-0) at Saint Stephen’s Episcopal (0-0) – Most people don’t know much about St. Stephen’s…But take note, they have at least 4 high level college athletes on roster and one of the best in the area in QB Fred Billy. You know what “they” say “Always be aware of a man with two first names (joke).”
7. Jefferson (1-0) at Steinbrenner (1-0) – Dragons traditionally bring a bus load of offensive surprises. Dontavius Smith and Justin McGriff will provide much entertainment. On the other side of the ball Deandre Hollins, Jefferson CB will be asked to slow down that open passing attack of the Warriors. Steinbrenner usually plays Jefferson tough. Statement game for the home team.
8. Mitchell (1-0) at River Ridge (0-1) – These two teams just don’t like anything about each other. The logos, school colors…The teachers don’t even shop at the same Target. Back to the field…Both teams are on a steady incline in recent years and will bring some spunk to midfield tonight. S Adam Rogers, DE Dominic Marino and ATH Kym-Mani King will try to limit D.J. Mann, Bryce Smith and Mikey Rouses. Emphasis on “try.”
9. St. Petersburg (1-0) at Lakewood (1-0) – This game use to be the highlight of the Southside. Has lost some of the luster from years past but none of the athletes. Gregory Spann II, Lakewood, 2020, PSQB will take his chances versus CB Anthony Johnson and the St. Pete secondary. Which way will the dice roll?
10. Zephyrhills (0-1) at Sunlake (0-1) – When is the last time Sunlake started the season 0-2? We’ll wait. Could it happen tonight versus a talented Zhills team?