The annual battle between Tampa Catholic and Jesuit is here, in a game that both sides have been looking for since the beginning of the season. Both teams are a lock for the playoffs, but here are a few facts about both sides and the game at hand.
– The last time Tampa Catholic defeated Jesuit was 1999. That was around the time that Stars Malik Davis, Bentlee Sanders, Devan Barrett, and Travell Harris were newborns. Juniors and underclassmen? Chances are they hadn’t been born yet.
– The price of a gallon of gas the last time TC won? $1.22 a gallon. In that time, it’s jumped up to close to $5 at times, now it’s sitting around $2. A song in the top five on the Billboard Top 100? Brittany Spears “Hit Me Baby One More Time.”
– Jesuit’s Malik Davis is Hillsborough County’s all-time leading rusher after eclipsing Ray Ray McCloud’s totals. Davis has 5,900 yards on 738 carries in his four years as a Tiger. He recently committed to the University of Florida.
– The Crusaders have three Division One recruits in their core of seniors. Bentlee Sanders has committed to USF, Devan Barrett to Auburn, and Darius Corbett has committed to Toledo.
– Jesuit QB Danny Boon is 21-1 in his two years as the starting quarterback. He’s trying to lead the Tigers to another Final Four appearance in Class 5A, and this time, they have nothing but aspirations for a championship ring. Boon could possibly become the most winningest starting quarterback in school history by the end of the season.
– TC Head Coach Mike Gregory is his fourth season and has gone 28-15 in that time. Jesuit Head Coach Matt Thompson is also in his fourth. He is currently 37-10.
– Only Jesuit has won a State Championship. That came in 1968 under Bill Minahan. Tampa Catholic got to the title game in 2009 and 2007.
Fans can catch all the action between the two rivals at 7:30 p.m. from the campus of Tampa Catholic High School.