New games this Friday and we’re on the hunt for the best players to play big and area teams to keep improving. Before you hit the bleacher for game night, here are the five things you need to know:
1. PLAYER TO WATCH: Cedric Baxter is at it again. After 4 games Edgewater’s senior RB is second in the state in rushing yards (865) averaging 216 yards per game and 8.9 yards per carry. Baxter has led Edgewater to a 4-0 start rushing for more than 200 yards in 3 of the 4 games and 116 yards versus West Orange. He’s been unstoppable this season.
Edgewater will host Apopka this evening. The Blue Darters are 2-1 and traditionally strong against the run. But, Cedric Baxter is a different animal.
2. GAME TO WATCH: Edgewater vs. Apopka. Here we go. The Blue Darters have played well defensively. But, not really impressive on the offensive side. While only allowing 31 points in 3 games, they’ve only scored 26. Both wins were by 1 point (Ocoee and Dr. Phillips). Their only loss was to West Orange.
Bishop Moore, Don Bosco Prep, West Orange and Jones have all fallen to Edgewater. The resume’ is impressive. The game goes through the offensive line and Baxter. If Baxter gets loose, game over for Apopka. If the Blue Darters somehow manage to contain Baxter, Apopka has a chance. Flip the coin, snap the ball and let the chips fall where they may.
3. TEAM TRENDING UP: Strawberry Crest. Have the Chargers ever been 4-0? No reason to look back. So look forward. The Chargers have dismissed King, Spoto, Robinson and Leto all while scoring 134 points and allowing just 15. Plant and Middleton await over the next two weeks. However, this morning the Chargers have confidence and wins under their belt. Keep trending Chragers.
4. COLLEGE SPOTLIGHT: Sarasota High School product “Sophomore running back Brian Battie ran for a career-high 150 yards and a touchdown and junior quarterback Gerry Bohanon added 102 and a touchdown on the ground as USF’s offensive line helped the Bulls to the most rushing yards Florida has given up this season, including 216 in the first half after the Gators had given up a total of 22 first half rushing yards against their first two opponents.” KEEP READING
5. NFL SPOTLIGHT: Jesuit High School product, Giants Defensive Back Dane Belton Shines in NFL Debut. “New York Giants rookie Dane Belton saw significant playing time in Sunday’s 19-16 win over the Carolina Panthers and looked right at home in the defense.” KEEP READING