American Athletic Conference teams were a combined 4-2 in nonconference games in Week 2 as the league continues its strong start to the season. The American is a combined 13-5 in nonconference games, for a .722 winning percentage that ranks fourth among the 10 FBS conferences.
· In the last three regular seasons (2015-17), the American Athletic Conference is a combined 26-2 against teams from Conference USA, the MAC, the Mountain West and the Sun Belt.
· Seven American Athletic Conference teams remain unbeaten through two weeks of the 2017 season. Only the SEC (9) Big Ten (8) and the Pac-12 (8) have more unbeaten teams through Week 2.
· Navy took an early lead in The American’s West Division race as the Midshipmen held off Tulane with a 23-21 win in Annapolis. The Midshipmen rushed for 194 yards and threw for 132 and saw their defense limit the Green Wave to 262 yards of offense. Navy improved to 15-2 all-time in American Athletic Conference regular-season games.
· Houston began its season with a 19-16 win at Arizona, giving Major Applewhite his first career head coaching victory. All-American DT Ed Oliver led the way with a game-high 11 tackles to go with 1.5 tackles for loss and a key forced fumble.
· SMU improved to 2-0 for the first time since 2009 with a 54-32 win against North Texas as WR Courtland Sutton set an American Athletic Conference record with four touchdown receptions.
· Tulsa picked up its first win as the Golden Hurricane outpaced Louisiana 66-42 behind a career-high 262 yards and three touchdowns from RB D’Angelo Brewer. Brewer’s total ranks second on The American’s single-game chart.
· Temple coach Geoff Collins picked up his first career victory as the Owls beat Villanova 16-13 on a 49-yard field goal from K Aaron Boumerhi with one minute left.
· Cincinnati and ECU fell on the road as the Bearcats dropped a 36-14 decision at No. 8 Michigan and the Pirates came up short at West Virginia, 56-20.